Other articles by the same author
Other articles by this author
ArtPrize, the biggest art venue to hit Grand Rapids, is just around the corner. Hundreds of artists from all around the world are traveling to Michigan for two weeks for a chance to win $250,000.
Only a week away, many artists are scrambling to put together their installation. Here is a photographic peek at what's going on.
1. Street as canvas: part of Erwin Erkfitz's mural "We're All Connected 2.0" at 219 S. Division (as of 9/10 - the mural will continue to grow throughout ArtPrize)
2. Erkfitz works on his mural.
3. The mural lights up S. Division on an overcast day.
4. Thomas Woodhouse works on his mural "The Jazz Players," located at the back of The B.O.B., 20 Monroe NW downtown.
5. Wide view, Woodhouse's "The Jazz Players" in progress.
6. Poster advertising the coming of Grand Rapids' own Loch Ness Monster. Nessie will be a life-sized model of the Loch Ness monster paddling through the Grand River during ArtPrize. Created by AAG, LLC, Nessie will rest just below the blue pedestrian bridge downtown.
7. Nessie's spine visible along the Grand River.
8. Detail of Tracy Van Duinen's arresting mosaic mural "Imagine That!" on the exterior wall of the Children's Museum at 11 Sheldon Ave.
9. A child stops to admire "Imagine That!" in a wider view.
10. A description on the side of the mobile Civic Studio indicates that the studio will be open for public viewing during ArtPrize and through December 19th. A project of Grand Valley State University, Civic Studio sits upon the Gillett Bridge.
11. The Civic Studio set up on Gillett Bridge. Appropriately the Public Museum stands in the background.
Click on images to see in larger sizes on Flickr.